Garden Route is one of South Africa’s famous tours where you are able to see some of the country’s most beautiful sightings and a few endangered animal species, which will get your blood pumping inlcuding extreme adventures.
5 – day trip
In the meantime on your 5 day trip tour, you’ll be invited and encouraged to visit three national parks, several wildlife reserves and the popular sunny beaches around Jeffreys Bay. If you always wanted to get up close with animals then here’s your chance; get up close to animals such as elephants, lions, and ostriches. And to give your calves the necessary exercise, hike through old-growth forests and have access to stunning views. If you’re a fan of getting into the waters you have the options to canoe or swim in rivers and the ocean.
What this tour includes…
- These garden route tours from Cape Town includes round-trip luxury transportation for four nights of lodging in budget accommodation.
- or 3-star hotels and guided tours at many attractions.
- Some meals are included. For others, feel free to ask your guide for advice on places to eat (own expense).
- Your guide offers helpful information and context for the sights you’ll visit and the wildlife you may see. Consult the itinerary section below for more details about what to expect each day on this trip.
What to do?
Day 1: Cape Town – Wilderness National Park
- Pickup from your Cape Town hotel, travel in a comfortable luxury vehicle for approximately five hours, including lunch and plenty of rest stops.
- friendly tour guide will answer any questions you may have regarding your trip.
- Then head down the road to Wilderness National Park.
- On to the waters on a 2-hour canoe ride with a professional guide, paddling on a calm river that winds through lush forests and mountains. \
- After gliding through this paradise, you’ll hop back in your van for a 30-minute drive to your hotel for the night. Have the evening at your leisure to rest and enjoy the ambiance of the South African coast.
Overnight: 4-Star or 3-Star Guest House B&B or Backpackers budget accommodation option in the Wilderness area
Day 2: Knysna – Tsitsikamma – Jeffreys Bay
- Have breakfast at your accommodation and then drive to Knysna.
- Tour guide will take you on an easy walk to the Knysna Heads, two eye-catching sandstone cliffs.
- Snap photos of the stunning views from the lookout points along the path (optional)
- Back in your comfortable vehicle for an hour’s drive to the world’s highest bungee jump – Bloukrans Bridge.
If you’re a adrenaline junkie then this is perfect for you; standing 709 feet (216 meters) above the Bloukrans River, the arch bridge is a well known place to bungee jump! This is a optional activity (own expense). If you’re not into this type of adventure you are more then welcome enjoy vicarious thrills by watching the bungee jumpers take the plunge. Once you catch your breath.
- After lunch, a short 30-minute drive brings you to the spectacular Tsitsikamma National Park where you’ll take a 2-hour guided walk along shady forest.
- After the walk, you’ll have the option to do a waterfall zipline (own expense) across the nearby Kruis River. The eight ziplines–the longest is 692 feet (211 meters)–zigzag across the river gorge, in some places as high as 164 feet (50 meters) above the water!
- After exploring Tsitsikamma National Park, you’ll continue one hour drive to Jeffreys Bay for its beautiful beaches, marine life and one of the world’s top surfing spots.
- Spend the evening at your leisure and enjoy the vibe Jeffreys Bay has to offer.
Overnight: 4-Star or 3-Star Guest House B&B or Backpackers budget accommodation option in Jeffreys Bay
Day 3: Jeffreys Bay – Addo Elephant National Park – Jeffreys Bay
- Get an early morning start for a day trip to Addo Elephant National Park; home to over 550 elephants, lions, buffalo, black rhino, spotted hyena, leopard, a variety of antelope and zebra species, and the Addo flightless dung beetle.
- start the day with a safari tour, with knowledgeable park guides. You may get lucky and see buffalo and other big animals, and witness dung beetles who keep the park tidy.
- (Optional) hop aboard an additional 4×4 Addo safari (own expense) for further game spotting with a park ranger.
- afternoon, return to Jeffreys Bay relax on the beach.
- If you’d like to try out surifing you may do (own expense) in one of the world’s most famous surf spots.
- Overnight: 4-Star or 3-Star Guest House B&B or Backpackers budget accommodation option in Jeffreys Bay
Day 4: Jeffreys Bay – Oudtshoorn
- After breakfast, travel for approximately four hours on the famous Route 62 to get to Oudtshoorn; where ostriches have been raised on farms for more than a century.
- After getting familiar with the ostriches, you’ll drive to the nearby Cango Caves. You’ll walk through some of this subterranean wonderland with your guide on a 2-hour tour of the caves.
- Then spend the evening at leisure in Oudtshoorn.
- Overnight: 4-Star or 3-Star Guest House B&B or Backpackers budget accommodation option in Oudshoorn.
Day 5: Oudtshoorn – Cape Town
- After breakfast, you’ll have the option to ‘meet the elephants’ experience (own expense) hence it being optional. Here you able to feed and interact with the creatures and learn about orphaned elephants
- Return to the wild for an optional morning bush game drive (at own expense).
- Spot wildlife from the safety of a 4×4 vehicle in their natural habitat on a malaria-free private game reserve. Led by an experienced game ranger you’ll search for animals rarely seen in Addo – including Hippo, Giraffe, Rhino and Springbok to name a few.
- After spending the morning with the wildlife, you can relax in the minicoach as you return to Cape Town along Route 62, ,the world’s longest wine route. You’ll pass through breathtaking scenery and have plenty of rest stops, including a stop for a splash of wine tasting before reaching Cape Town in the evening to end your tou
- visit a working ostrich farm where you learn more about these animals.
Important Information to keep in mind about these garden route tours from Cape Town mini van hire
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by minibus
- Breakfast included if 3* or 4* accommodation chosen
- 4 nights accommodation
- Entrance fees to Addo Elephant, Wilderness and Tsitsikamma National Parks
- Entrance fee to Wilderness Canoeing
- Tour of Addo Elephant National Park
- Standard or Adventure tour of Ostrich Farm and Cango Caves
- Lunch, dinner and drinks
- 4×4 Addo game drive (about R350 per person)
- Elephant Bush Walk (about R405 per person)
- Waterfall Zipline (About R400 per person)
- Bungy jump (about R990 per person)
- Optional activities as per itinerary
- 4×4 Buffelsdrift bush safari (about R350 per person)